Mabel O'Donnell Elementary School was opened in 1965 along with its sister school, Rose E. Krug. Both schools were built from the same plan, of which economy in construction is one feature. The round school was designed to provide greater teacher effectiveness.
Miss Mabel O'Donnell is a graduate of East Side school system which she later served as teacher, grade supervisor, and principal until her retirement in 1946. Since then, as the author of many elementary textbooks and readers, she has achieved international stature in education. Nearly 100 million copies of her books have been printed in several languages for school children in many nations. This building bears Miss O'Donnell's name in honor of her distinguished contributions to our children and those of the world.
The school has had two additions constructed to expand student capacity. The first was a round design that added 6 classrooms. It has been remodeled to hold 4 early learning classrooms. The second addition on the building north side added 8 classrooms, 5 offices, and a media center that includes a 32 station Computer Lab.