Families invited to celebrate Las Posadas on Dec. 5 at East Aurora High School
East Aurora families are invited to gather on Saturday, Dec. 5, for Las Posadas, a popular, free celebration of community. Las Posadas will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. in the Ponquinette Field House at East Aurora High School, 500 Tomcat Lane.
Las Posadas has been a tradition in East Aurora School District 131 for many years and regularly draws thousands of visitors of all ages. Las Posadas means “The Inns” in Spanish and is connected with traditional stories about visiting homes for celebration. Although Las Posadas is sometimes linked to Hispanic religious ceremonies, the East Aurora event is simply a chance to unite and celebrate the joy of being part of a supportive community.
Entrance to the event is free, but families are asked to bring a non-perishable item that will be used to re-stock the shelves of the food pantry at East Aurora High School.
This year’s celebration will feature an opening ceremony by NJROTC cadets at 3 p.m., a performance by Simply Destinee dance troupe at 4 p.m., local Christmas carol singers at 5 p.m. and dancing by Ballet Folklorico Quetzalcoatl at 5:45 p.m. Between those times, students from several schools, including Dieterich, Oak Park, Benavides, Krug and Simmons, will perform.
Parent liaisons from all schools, as well as several high school clubs, will host tables where they will sell crafts and plenty of traditional food. The funds raised will go back to the support parent groups and high school clubs.
Las Posadas will once again feature games for younger children. Santa Claus will be available for visits and parents can take their picture with the jolly old elf.
To reach the event, enter the high school through Door 15 on the southwest side of the building.
Multiple ways to find out about East Aurora weather-related closings
As the temperatures fall, East Aurora School District 131 families are reminded that there are multiple places to check for information about weather-related closings.
Information will be released through:
- A phone message to parents in both English and Spanish.
- The District website: www.d131.org
- The District Facebook page: www.facebook.com/EASD131
- The District Twitter account: @EASD131 (twitter.com/EASD131)
- The Emergency Closing Center website: www.emergencyclosings.com
The District will only send out a notice when schools are closed. If there is no announcement, schools are open.
If schools are open, it is the responsibility of parents and guardians to determine if conditions allow for their children to attend school.
The Superintendent, in consultation with district administrators, makes the final decision whether to close school due to inclement weather. The decision is based on the ability of students to make it to and from school safely. When making his decision, the superintendent considers multiple factors including temperatures, snowfall and wind chill.
The City of Aurora has opened multiple warming centers for anyone who needs shelter during extreme weather. More information is available at: https://www.aurora-il.org/ema/planandprepare/warmcoolcenters.php
Simmons Honor Veterans!
"November 10, 2015
Simmons Veterans Day Celebration
2:00 pm New Gym"
PACE changes bus route numbers for Simmons, East High
Pace Bus has changed the routes that serve Simmons Middle School and East Aurora High School. School trips to Simmons Middle School and Aurora East High School will be operated by Route 533 and Route 540. The updated schedules, including maps, are available at PaceBus.com , including detailed maps and full service schedules. The changes will start Monday, October 26. A summary of the times for Route 540 is available here.
Simmons Middle School Reading Night on November 19
Our annual Family Reading Night is on Thursday, November 19th from 5-7 p.m. This year our theme is Camp Out with a Good Book. Simmons' staff will provide reading activities from all subject areas in our library, computer labs, and courtyard. Please enter through door one or six to sign in and receive your passport to a fun evening! Simmons’ students may have a chance to earn a t-shirt when they complete 5 or more activities throughout the night. So, remember to pick up your passport so your completed activities may be checked off by our teachers. Hotdogs will be grilled and potato chips and s’more’s will also be served. We are looking forward to many families participating!
Walk to School Day October 7th
October 7th is Walk or Ride your Bike to School Day. Parents join or encourage your student to walk or ride their bike to school October 7th. Students that participate will get to sign our Walk to School Day Banner!
Parents that join their students are invited to come in and have a cup of coffee in the cafeteria and join us for an informative presentation on Title I starting at 8am.
Octubre 7, 2015 es Día de Caminar a la escuela
Padres acompañen o animen a su estudiante a que camine o monte su bicicleta a la escuela el 7 de octubre.
¡Los estudiantes que participen podrán firmar nuestra bandera del Día de Caminar a la Escuela!
Padres que acompañan a sus hijos son invitados a un cafecito en la cafetería y a una presentación informativa sobre Título I comenzando a las 8am.
Chicago Museum Week: October 1-7, 2015
This fall, Chicago Museum Week will take place from October 1-7. A dozen city museums are planning special programming and discounts in this unique promotion. All eleven of the Museums in the Park members, located on Chicago Park District land, plus Lincoln Park Zoo, are offering specials ranging from backstage tours to admission and membership discounts. Full details are at chicagomuseumweek.com.
Other participating institutions are: Adler Planetarium, The Field Museum, MCA Chicago, National Museum of Mexican Art, The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, and Shedd Aquarium.
Also attached is an updated list of Museum Free Days.
Families encouraged to visit schools during September open house events
All schools in East Aurora School District 131 will host open house events starting next week, and running through Sept. 23.
Parents are invited to attend the open house at their student’s school to meet with teachers, review curriculum and classroom activities, and discuss plans for the 2015-16 school year. For more information on open house events, contact your student’s school.
- Allen: Kindergarten through second grades 7-8:30 p.m. on Monday, September 14; third through fifth grades 7-8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15
- Bardwell: 6-7:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 17
- Beaupre: 5-7 p.m. on Thursday, September 17
- Benavides Kindergarten Center: 6-7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 22
- Brady: 6-8 p.m. on Thursday, September 17
- Child Service Center: 6-7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 9
- Cowherd: 6-7:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 3
- Dieterich: 6-8 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15
- Early Childhood Center: 5:30-7 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15
- East Aurora High School: 6-8 p.m. on Thursday, September 10, followed by PTA social from 8:05-8:30 p.m. in school cafeteria
- East Aurora Extension: 6-8 p.m. on Thursday, September 10
- Gates: Primary 6-7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15; Intermediate 6–7:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 17
- Hermes: Kindergarten through second grades 6-7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 16; third through fifth grades 6-7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 23
- Johnson: 6-7 p.m. on Tuesday, September 15
- Krug: 6-7:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 17
- Magnet Academy: 6-7:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 3
- Oak Park: 6-8 p.m. on Thursday, September 17
- O’Donnell: 6:30-8 p.m. on Thursday, September 17
- Rollins: 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, September 16
- Simmons: 6-7:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 3
- Waldo: 6-7:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 3